Thursday 19 December 2013

5 Movies to Watch Over the Holidays (Classics Edition)

If you're a movie fanatic like I am, you know that along with the holiday season comes cheesy movies about Santa Claus and nostalgia. I don't know about you but I have yet to find a Christmas movie that leaves me satisfied. So instead of naming Christmas movies for this list, I am going to share with you my must-watch (classic) movies list for the holidays.

1. Pride and Prejudice (2005) - Rotten Tomatoes rating: 85%



If you ask me what my favourite movie is, I will tell you (without hesitation) Pride & Prejudice. This movie, starring Keira Knightley and Matthew MacFayden, is based on Jane Austen's novel by the same name. Now this movie is not only one of the best films but also the best romantic film. Yes, that means it beats The Notebook, P.S. I Love You and Dear John. You can disagree with me all you want but this movie just gets better the more and more you watch it. This holiday season, watch this movie with a loved one or by yourself and it will leave you with a feel-good emotion that one cannot control and let's be honest, who doesn't want to feel good during the holidays? The character development, script, acting and even the music creates a perfect blend of beautiful. I can't even count how many times I've watched this film. All I know is that I watched it enough to be able to quote numerous lines. You may even be able to catch me quote a line from the movie on this blog! So, if you have the urge of watching a romance movie this winter holiday, I advise you to stray away from Nicholas Sparks and enter the world of Jane Austen. And if you're like me and have already watched this movie...then watch it again. And with the slight chance that you don't end up liking it...could you expect me to rejoice in the inferiority of your circumstances?


2. Cast Away (2000) - Rotten Tomatoes rating: 90%



If you haven't watched this movie yet then what is the meaning of life? This movie is for the people who are craving a good drama, action and adventure film. Tom Hanks never fails to amaze his audience with his acting that makes you truly believe you are there on the island with him. If you watch this movie, it will remind you to appreciate even the little things you have during this holiday season. So don't fret if you don't get what you want this Christmas! For parents, if you think your child needs a good, firm lesson on appreciation, let them watch this movie. If you weren't able to get them the present that they wanted, let them watch this movie so they won't hate you as much (LOL). Now I don't want to spoil the movie but it could even teach a thing or two about survival. With all the talks these days of zombie apocalypses and doomsday, learning how to survive with minimal resources won't do any harm! Overall, this movie is definitely a classic and a must-watch during any season! WILSONNNNN!!!!


3. Lilo & Stitch (2002) - Rotten Tomatoes rating: 86%



Speaking of children, this movie is for those that still have that inner-child in them that's dying for a good children's movie. I know this movie isn't really considered a classic but it sure is a classic for me (any Disney movie is a classic)! I asked Santa (my aunt lol) for this movie when I was like 7-8 and I got it, included with a poster! The obsessive child in me ended up watching the movie 10x a day for a week during the holidays. Not only is this movie visually appealing but it can leave you with a nice message as well! The movie's main theme is about family and it reminds you that family is more important than you think. This holiday season should be all about family and this movie can remind you of just that. It also gives you 1 hour and 4 minutes of that Hawaiian getaway that you've always wanted ;). You can never go wrong with watching a Disney movie, so do yourself a favour, gather your ohana (that means family...and family means nobody gets left behind) and watch Lilo & Stitch.


4. Avatar (2009) - Rotten Tomatoes rating: 83%



Now this is a movie that I, as an individual, have been itching to watch again. I watched it once when it came out but never again and I can't wait to finish typing this post so I can finally fulfill my desires! Written and directed by James Cameron (& starring hottie Sam Worthington and the beautiful Zoe Saldana), this film takes you to a world that you wish existed in real life (or if you're like me, you believe it actually does exist and you think the government is hiding it from you). A drama-suspense-comedy-mystery-science fiction-action-adventure-fantasy movie all in one! Forgive me, for I do not have a holiday-related reason for you to watch this movie. You should just watch it, just because. If you don't want to watch this movie, then let me ask you one question: how does it feel to betray your own race? Mankind depends on you watching this! Please! LOL jk, but seriously. Watch the movie...and I mean watch the movie right now.


5. Mean Girls (2004) - Rotten Tomatoes rating: 83%



Seriously? Do I even need to give you a reason why you need to watch it? This movie starring Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams and Tina Fey (she wrote it too!) is a classic on its own terms. It's STILL quoted everywhere around the world, even after almost 10 years. If you want a good laugh, then watch this movie (or rather, watch it again since it's almost impossible to find someone who hasn't seen this yet). This movie also brings us back to good times where Lindsay Lohan was still naturally pretty and seemingly "normal". There's even a little bit of Christmas spirit in this film with the famous "Jingle Bell Rock" performance and Santa handing out candy canes (none for Gretchen Wieners). Watch this feel-good flick as many times as you like this holiday season. I give you my permission.

Annnd there you have it! If you have any other suggestions for must-watch movies for the holidays, let me know! Or if you'd like me to make more lists like these (where I suggest movies for you), let me know as well!

Thanks for reading! If this post made you smile, then that's a plus! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment